The company issued a recall on January 29, 2016 and then expanded the recall on February 12. The issue was stated to be a ingredient contamination issue, namely organic Moringa Leaf powder (moringa oleifera, is a plant that is native to northern India and is used for health benefits).
CDC Outbreak News
Multistate Outbreak of Salmonella Virchow Infections Linked to Garden of Life RAW Meal Organic Shake & Meal Products
Posted March 24, 2016 11:45 AM ET
At A Glance
- Case Count: 27
- States: 20
- Deaths: 0
- Hospitalizations: 5
- Recall: Yes
- Nine more ill people have been reported from eight states. The most recent illness started on March 13, 2016.
- Five states have been added to the list of states with ill people: Alabama, California, Hawaii, Michigan, and West Virginia.
- Consumers should not eat and retailers should not sell the recalled RAW Meal products. These products have a long shelf life and may still be in people’s homes.
- Read the Recall & Advice to Consumers and Retailers(http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/virchow-02-16/advice.html)>>
- CDC, multiple states, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating a multistate outbreak of Salmonella Virchow infections.
- Twenty-seven people infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Virchow have been reported from 20 states.
- Five ill people have been hospitalized, and no deaths have been reported.
- Epidemiologic and laboratory evidence indicates that RAW Meal Organic Shake & Meal products made by Garden of Life, LLC are the likely source of this outbreak.
- As a result of this investigation, Garden of Life, LLC voluntarily recalled several lots of RAW Meal Organic Shake & Meal products, available in chocolate, original, vanilla, and vanilla chai, on January 29, 2016 (initial recall) and February 12, 2016 (expanded recall).
- Consumers should not eat and retailers should not sell the recalled RAW Meal products.
- These products have a long shelf life and may still be in people's homes.
- Even if some of the RAW Meal product has been eaten without anyone getting sick, throw away or return the rest of the product.
- The recalled products were available for purchase nationwide in many retail stores and online.
- A complete list of the recalled Garden of Life RAW Meal products is available on the Recall & Advice to Consumers and Retailers page(http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/virchow-02-16/advice.html).
- Updates will be posted when more information is available.