Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Fifteen Postal Workers Ill from Potluck Leftovers

Potlucks are one thing, but leftovers from potlucks.....  In this case, 15 postal workers become ill after consuming leftovers from a potluck dinner held for 200 to honor veterans. 

What was the issue?  While the news reports are light on information, we can make a pretty good guess.  First, no one got sick from the initial offering, but rather it was the nightshift workers who became ill after consuming the leftovers.  The symptoms of vomiting and nausea were noted and it occurred about 6 hours or so after their shift began.  The short duration from consumption to onset of the illness  in conjunction with the symptoms of vomiting and nausea would indicate a Staphylococcus aureus intoxication.  If that is the case, we could guess that some of the leftovers were not properly refrigerated.

USA Today

15 hospitalized after suspected food poisoning

CHARLOTTE — Fifteen people were taken to hospitals Thursday morning after becoming sick at a U.S. Postal facility in west Mecklenburg County, N.C.

Medic, Mecklenburg County's EMS agency, said they transported 15 people from the U.S. Postal facility around 6 a.m. when they became ill after consuming leftovers from a Veterans Day potluck.

Medic said the victims' sicknesses are not life-threatening.

Officials at the facility said nearly 200 employees participated in a potluck dinner Tuesday evening to honor co-workers who are veterans. Some of the food was refrigerated overnight Tuesday.

Employees and managers returning to work Wednesday night helped themselves to the leftovers and after consuming them, some complained of stomach pains, officials said.

The employees were taken to the hospital for symptoms of food poisoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment